There are many opportunities for RCBC students to study abroad. If you have a destination in mind, or even if you are just curious about the process, the information below should get you started. Please feel free to contact the study abroad coordinator to discuss your options.

Disclaimer: It is the student's responsibility to complete the study abroad application process with Rowan College at Burlington County's Study Abroad Coordinator before traveling to a foreign institution. The college has no obligation to honor credits earned through a Study Abroad Program that have not been approved in advance.

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to study abroad. Am I eligible?

Program requirements vary, but most programs require a grade point average (GPA) of anywhere from 2.5 to 3.0. Some programs also require that you have completed at least one or two terms of full time study.

What programs are available?

RCBC goes through the College Consortium for International Studies, which has programs all over the world. See their website for listings and details.

What if I want to go somewhere that’s not on the CCIS list?

Other programs are available through a variety of sources, but RCBC cannot guarantee transfer of credits from non-CCIS programs. Please see the study abroad coordinator if you have questions about non-CCIS destinations.

How much does it cost?

Fees vary according to length of program and destination, but they can be anywhere from $3,000 for a 4-week summer program to $15,000 or more for a term. RCBC also charges a $200 processing fee (subject to change).

What do those fees include?

They usually include at least tuition and insurance. Some program fees may include housing, but others may not.

What other costs will I be responsible for?

Aside from the program fees and possibly housing, students will need to pay for airfare, necessary travel documents (passport/visa), any required vaccines, RCBC health insurance, books, some or all meals, and other personal expenses.

Can I get financial aid to study abroad?

Yes, the financial aid for which you are eligible at RCBC can be applied to your international studies. There are also other forms of aid available such as loans and scholarships. Do remember, though, that the same rules apply to financial aid for study abroad as they do at RCBC: if you stop attending classes or otherwise do not fulfill the conditions, your aid will be revoked and you will owe the college the remaining balance. Please contact RCBC’s Financial Aid office for details.

When should I contact the financial aid office?

You should contact the financial aid office as soon as you begin the application process.

When should I begin the study abroad application process?

Most application deadlines are in November for spring term programs and April for the following fall term. Since much of the work is time consuming and must be completed in advance (requests for references, approval of courses, etc), it is best, as a general rule, to meet with the study abroad coordinator the term before the application is due (spring term for a fall deadline; fall term for a spring deadline). See the tentative timeline below.

Will I get credit for the courses I take abroad?

Yes, as long as they are approved in advance, and you receive a passing grade. You will be registered for equivalent RCBC courses before you go abroad. However, if RCBC doesn’t have an equivalent for the course(s) you are taking (for example, if you are taking a Japanese class, which RCBC doesn’t offer), you will receive general elective credits.

I’ve submitted my application to study abroad, but I’m not sure I’ll get accepted. What should I do?

You can always register for RCBC courses for the term in question while you wait on the status of your application. As long as you withdraw before the term begins, you can receive a full refund.

I’ve been accepted: what should I do?

Follow the instructions provided to you by your sponsor school. You may be required to pay a deposit to hold your place. You will then need to make travel arrangements and possibly register for classes at your destination school. You may also need to make arrangements for room and board, if they are not included in the cost of your program. Most importantly, though, you will need to pay RCBC’s Business Office the balance of your fees, so that a check can be sent to your sponsor school.

How do I pay for my program?

You will be registered for equivalent courses at RCBC, and the total due will be that of the international program fees. You must pay the total in advance, and our business office will then send a check to the sponsor school for your program fees.

When should I get a passport?

It can take weeks or even months to get a new passport. If you know you want to study abroad, you should get one immediately.

Will I need a visa to get into my study abroad destination?

Visa requirements vary with the destination. It is best to consult the CCIS website and/or the sponsor school.

Can I work when I’m studying abroad?

Permission to work abroad is usually determined by the type of visa/entry requirements of the country. Again, it is best to consult the sponsor school for details.

What do I do when I come back?

You need to ensure that your grades from your time abroad are posted as soon after your return as possible: make sure you follow up with the study abroad coordinator. If you are planning to graduate when you return to the States, you will need to ensure all of your requirements are fulfilled and your graduation application is submitted by the deadline for the graduation date you want—please see the college website for details. If you are planning to continue your studies at RCBC, you can register for classes when they become available on Self-Service. You will probably need to do this while you are abroad—if you wait until you return, classes may be filled.

Contact us.

Jessica Gicking-Aspden
English Instructor/Study Abroad Coordinator
(856) 222-9311, ext. 1614


The following should give you an idea of the time required to complete the study abroad application process.


  • Choose your program and contact the study abroad coordinator for more information.
  • Determine what materials will need to be included with your application and arrange to meet again at the beginning of the Fall semester.


  • Apply for or renew passport.
  • Use CCIS website to see what courses are available for your program.
  • Meet with a RCBC academic advisor to find out what courses you still need for graduation and think about what courses at the other institution might fit.
  • Think about what instructors you can ask to provide references.


  • Meet with study abroad coordinator at the beginning of the fall semester to begin completing application form.
  • Approach instructors for references.
  • Begin personal statement.


  • Meet with financial aid to discuss payment options.
  • Choose courses and submit for approval.
  • Check visa requirements.


  • Complete and submit all application documents.
  • Choose housing option if necessary.
  • Finalize course choices with study abroad coordinator.


  • Await decision from program.
  • Register for spring RCBC courses if unsure of outcome.



  • Pay necessary deposit to sponsor school for program fees and/or housing.
  • Make travel arrangements.
  • Get visa, if required.
  • Study abroad coordinator and registrar will enter registration for equivalent RCBC courses.
  • Pay remaining balance of fees.


  • Make arrival plans with sponsor school.
  • Travel to destination.
  • Register for classes, if necessary.


  • Register for summer and/or fall courses if returning to RCBC.
  • Ensure graduation requirements are complete, if necessary.


  • Return to the US.