This program is designed to introduce students to the changes in human society over time, to expose students to the diversity of the human experience, to chronologically examine the global struggle of all people, and to assist students to scientifically evaluate their own heritage. Written composition, oral presentation, problem solving, and critical thinking are essential skills used in historical study.
The history curriculum prepares students for study in a variety of fields including education, public service, and political science. Moreover, the study of history prepares students for careers in law, journalism, business, public relations, international relations, archives, museums and historical societies. Majoring in history provides an excellent bridge to any career requiring an in-depth study of the human condition.
Students planning to teach History on the Elementary or Secondary level, should include the following as open Electives; EDU 112 History Foundations and PSY 250 Educational Psychology. Students planning to transfer after graduation should consult the RCBC Transfer Office and catalog of the college where they intend to complete their studies.
Graduates of this program should be able to:
- Demonstrate a factual knowledge of significant past events;
- Demonstrate an understanding of history as a process of cause and effect, rather than solely as memorization of facts, dates, or people;
- Utilize critical thinking to evaluate the impact of complex human behavior on significant past events;
- Demonstrate an understanding of historical perspective as an instrument to determine what makes a past event significant;
- Use their knowledge of recurring historical themes to understand varied outcomes in differing historical time periods
Students within the History Program may study on a full-time or part-time basis with the added flexibility of many course sections being offered online. For more information about the History Program at RCBC, please contact:
History Program Coordinator
(609) 894-9311, ext. 1346