The English major option provides students with a Liberal Arts concentration aimed at developing excellent reading and writing skills. Students develop the ability to analyze text, collect and organize research data, and write clearly and effectively. In addition, the program emphasizes critical reading and writing skills required in a variety of career fields including law, medicine, teaching, communications, business, and industry.
Graduates of this program should be able to:
- Demonstrate the importance of using sensitive and precise language;
- Write for different audiences and purposes;
- Develop strategies for generating ideas and organizing thoughts;
- Analyze the effectiveness of their own academic and professional writing;
- Utilize the writing process to develop and argue a thesis supported in coherent paragraphs;
- Critically and thoughtfully read select texts that comment on human experience;
- Use various critical perspectives to analyze fiction, poetry and dramas;
- Relate the cultural, historical, and social significance of texts ranging from ancient to contemporary world literature.
Students planning to transfer after graduation should consult the catalog of the college where they intend to complete their studies.
For more information about transfer opportunities, please visit the Transfer Office website.